TMW will soon begin installing an advanced 10mm (0.375”) tension leveled EPS Coil Line at our toll processing center in Red Bud, Illinois. The line will be capable of pickling CQ, Higher Strength Grades, silicon steel, and stainless steels (it may be the world’s first ‘push-pull’ pickling line for stainless steel). The EPS Technology Team has been designing the line to incorporate enhancements in overall productivity, along with concepts that further reduce its space requirements. This blog entry summarizes those new features, many of which will become standard on future EPS production lines.
This one cell EPS line will use the ‘Armour Plated’ Version 2.2 Cell design with longer life components for reduced maintenance. It will be only 39 meters (128 feet) long, measured from uncoiler to recoiler. In addition to being a working production line, it will serve as a demonstration and training center where purchasers of EPS technology receive hands-on training in operation and service procedures prior to startup of their own lines. Consistent with that purpose, the line will have an important new feature: the ability to disconnect an entire cell and slide it out of position for off-line maintenance.
This new feature is a productivity boost for multi-cell EPS lines. It allows for the shut down of one cell at a time, pull it out of production for scheduled annual maintenance, and bridge across the gap so production can continue with the remaining cells, albeit at a reduced speed. It will take only 40 minutes to disconnect the cell from the line and pull it out for its annual maintenance. Owners of multi-cell lines will be able to have their staff trained on cell removal and reconnection on the new TMW line.
COMBINED WET SCALE BREAKER/LEVELER
While other EPS coil lines have incorporated wet scale breaking and leveling, this line will include both functions into a single unit. The advantages are:
- the scale breaker is effective for material up to 6.2 mm (0.245″) thick, which will boost production speed for a wider range of coils,
- reduction in line length,
- faster threading,
- the simplified design requires less maintenance than a conventional leveler.
SIMPLIFIED WATER FILTRATION
A new, simplified EPS water filtration/recirculation system has been designed and its first implementation will be on the TMW EPS Coil Line. The improvements include:
- the magnetic filter section has been replaced by an expanded vacuum filtration section,
- this expanded vacuum filter will also filter the scale breaker/level water, eliminating a separate filtration system,
- a section of the water tank beneath the Turbine Chamber has been eliminated, reducing cost and water volume,
- the EPS Cell’s water will be cleaner overall, and
- the new system will require less maintenance.
For its implementation at TMW, this system will be placed outside of the main building in a small adjacent structure. That will simplify cooling of the system while saving valuable floorspace in the main building. The line’s drive control cabinets will also be placed in this external building, as it will be easier to cool them and keep them clean.
- a brushing unit (with accompanying rinse) at the EPS Cell exit to provide a smoother Ra product in those rare cases where a lower Ra surface is needed,
- an off line ‘coil prep station’ for unbanding and cropping the head , so there’s no need to crop the head in line,
- faster coil setup/threading.
While most the above enhancements will become standard on new EPS Coil lines, we’re taking extra measures to make this line a ‘showcase’ that helps visitors see and appreciate EPS technology better. Cameras positioned around the line will ‘broadcast’ functions you otherwise couldn’t easily see. We’ll even have a below grade observation area adjacent to the Turbine Chamber tank pit, so visitors can view the ‘plumbing’ and grit handling portion of EPS technology.
In months to come we’ll provide progress updates on the line installation, culminating in the startup expected 4Q 2016.